get to know us
- Oxford, Mississippi is a historic town in north central Mississippi and the home of The University of Mississippi.
- Oxford is known for its college town charm and quaint community of people who are deeply invested in the quality of small town life.
- Planted in 1995 by Rev. Shane Sunn, Christ Pres rooted itself as an "in town" church, just off the historic Oxford Square on University Avenue.
- Curt Presley served as Lead Pastor beginning in 2001, before becoming an Associate Pastor of Congregational Care in the summer of 2018. He departs the church on January 1, 2023 for a new call.
- Les Newsom was hired in the summer of 2018 to serve as the church's third Lead Pastor.
- Six years ago Christ Pres secured land in what is now called the Oxford Commons portion of the east side of Oxford.
- Christ Pres moved into a brand-new facility in August of 2020.
- Presently, Christ Pres is a growing congregation of more than 600 members, communing and non-communing.
- The church exists to Proclaim a Hope, which roots it in a commitment to a Reformed, Gospel-centered exposition of Scripture, Build a Home that is consistent with the Biblical principles of church life and enriching community, and to Launch a Healing providing a Kingdom-centered witness to the community through acts of service.
- At least 10 years of pastoral experience
- Unique gifting towards pastoral care and ministry to seniors (55+)
- Warm manner and track record of pursuing people with encouragement and Godly exhortation
- Fits the culture of the present staff at Christ Pres which is highly collaborative and resists silo-ing
- Possesses a heart for outreach into communities of need in the Oxford and Lafayette County
- Able to scale ministry to a growing congregation and assist them in "plugging in" for acts of service
- Willingness to preach 4-5 times per year
Areas of Emphasis
- Christ Pres has a growing Senior Adult ministry as it reflects the fast growth of retirees in the Oxford area. Many national magazines have noted Oxford as a favorite retirement location.
- The legacy of Curt Presley’s ministry has been one of consistent and faithful outreach in care to our sick, elderly, and hurting. This ministry emphasis is essential to our mission in this community.
- The position would include oversight and facilitation of an active benevolence outreach ministry, which is a state of flux given recent developments from city-wide services.
- The diaconate is used to having a staff person present to represent needs to the staff when larger ministry objectives arise.
Senior Adult Ministry
- Teach and develop a weekly Bible study for the senior adults
- Promote and facilitate ministry activities beyond the study
- Contact and manage a roll of attendees to help organize small groups forming from within this group
- Maintain and update list of invalid and hospitalized members
- Maintain outreach and contact with the elderly and hurting in the congregation
- Create regular schedule of hospital visitation
- Maintain contact with pastoral staff for appropriate hospital visits
- Update Session on pastoral care needs
- Facilitate Session shepherding responsibilities list as well as assist in execution of elder contacts with membership
- Mobilize membership during crisis situations for illness, loss, etc.
- Form and manage Restoration Teams when church crises arise
- Assist with Care Team Coordinator in maintaining communication with needy members
- Oversee Ministry of Bereavement, assist in organization and execution of funeral policies (Bereavement Team)
- Function as staff liaison for diaconate
- Facilitate church wide outreach projects for community engagement
- Oversee Benevolence Ministry and Benevolence Coordinator
- Assist in communication with needy members and coordinate diaconal assistance
- Assist with new member enfolding
- Pulpit preaching 4-5 times per year
- Assist with public worship as liturgist
- Various other pastoral duties
Are you interested in applying for this position?